- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Global Reasoning-Tolerance.

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global Reasoning-Tolerance.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Global Reasoning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my country, Jolanta - there is no choice between politicians. Once a person finds him or herself in office it is too late - they are little more than marionettes.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree - there is a big difference between our countries in the matter.
But we still have a chance here...

Jolanta
PeterM
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: few more comments Reply with quote

Thanks folks for all the new posts, its great to see all of your responses. Here are few more comments to consider..

We always work out of incomplete information (Heisenberg anyone?) . That’s why having a firm grasp of reality combined with clear decision making ability is key to our survival - even more so in a nuclear age. That’s why I started by questioning the ‘wooly headed’, politically correct, non-judgmental malaise I see under the guise of ‘being tolerant’. Reasoned thinking based on solid assumptions (of the Aristotle sort) is one of the few tools we have as humans to get desirable outcomes. (ie: not nuking each other).
Do we make poor value judgments? – all the time. Do we act out of fear, greed and other unreasonable impulses? – of course. Do politicians also have such and reflect ours? - undoubtedly. Can we control ourselves let alone a body politic? - that’s a question only we can answer only for our self. We must recognize our limited ability to influence others. We can be voice for reasonable discourse or a mouthpiece for propaganda. Do we want to reach out and find community or do we want to dominate through fear – what do you choose?
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To end this year with a bang, I suggest we shift this discussion from the abstract to the concrete.

We've talked abstractly about gray areas, reasoned thinking based on solid assumptions, and needing to be open minded yet not wooly headed so we can make thoughtful but clear, timely decisions.

We agree that in the real world we must make decisions and take action using incomplete information, as well as make value judgments. To add to the problem of solving world problems, many individuals are closed minded and work with only one book of many.

Let's apply all this to real, concrete problems that face the world or confound the individual.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the one book of many interfere with?

Jolanta
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thoughs:

Though there are books that make much damage, undoubtedly. And there are books that are interpreted improperly.

As we can see, writers’ voice can be powerful Smile

Jolanta
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>Do we want to reach out and find community or do we want to dominate through fear – what do you choose?<<

I’d go for the latter, Peter. The results of the former are far too plain to see.
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolanta, I understood the "one book . . . " statement, which was taken from Matt's post, to mean many individuals are not open minded and obtain all their knowlege from only one source, be it the Bible, the Koran, the U.S. Constitution, or the N.Y. Times, etc.

But, my understanding, interpretation, is no better or worse than yours or anyone else's.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Dave.

I know Matt's opinion in the matter.

Sometimes I act on impulse (haven't you noticed it yet?)
So I sent my other post because I understood that there can be different "the one books".

Jolanta Smile
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jograd wrote:
OK, Dave.

I know Matt's opinion in the matter.

Sometimes I act on impulse (haven't you noticed it yet?)
So I sent my other post because I understood that there can be different "the one books".
Jolanta Smile

I act on impulse, many times, too.

Jolanta, are you saying Matt has told you what he meant by "Most religions cite a God or more. It's goddamned shame that so many individuals rely upon one book of many while they interact with other individuals. It's an absurdity contradicting what is taught"?

I thought he not only recognized that there is more than one book (or explanation for life and the way the world is), I thought he also said that many individuals don't open their minds to other possible explanations when they engage in conversation and social interaction.

Think, but not too long
Act, but not too fast
Love, but not too deep
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I am very grateful to you for the three last sentences!

I have just learnt them by heart Exclamation

P.S.
They may be my New Year resolutions!

P.S.'
But see this quote by J. Adams below... Confused

Jolanta
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Global Reasoning - Tolerance Reply with quote

PeterM,
Global Reasoning feels greatly honoured by you presence and active participation in the forum. Thanks to Clive as well who drew your attention to this forum. Your comments on tolerance are valueable and it is hoped they will continue to open the new layers concerning tolerance.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Ehsan!
It is VERY nice to see you again!

I still can't open the Forum today. I could do it thanks to the link I received after your writing the post here.

Jolanta Confused
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Global Reasoning - Tolerance Reply with quote

Hi Jolanta, thank you very much of your nice words.
I was lost but am very happy to find myself again. I have been, however, viewing the discussion and enjoying it very much.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Ehsan!
I am very happy to hear that you could find a way here.
Always when I feel lost, I enter here...
So, you can imagine how often I feel lost Smile
Well, life is difficult...

It is you who meet the New Year first.
Do I turn my globe in a proper direction?

A very happy New Year to you, Ehsan (and to your beloved)!

Jolanta Smile
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Global Reasoning - Tolerance Reply with quote

Hello Jolanta, thank you for your happy new year greetings.
My best wishes for you and your family. May all the human beings in the world find this year prospeous, more peaceful and tolerant towards one another. May God help us overcoming the evils which are within us and those which are without us.
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it's only 6:47 P.M. here in Los Angeles, I'll toast to that, Ehsan. In addition, may this new year bring all of us a renewed energy to dream and to pursue those dreams.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: posts Reply with quote

Happy New Year everyone! It's now offically January 1st here in South Carolina (I'm currently at my mom's house now instead of my dad's). I also enjoyed reading everyone's posts about Global Reasoning and other subjects. I agree with Matt in that there are many other ways to interpret life and God (more than one book). In fact the religion of Islam even acknowledges this (correct me if I'm wrong Eshan since you live in Pakistan you may have more knowledge of this than I do Wink ). WHile their main book is the Qu'ran they acknowledge the Bible and the Torah. In fact they belive that these are the 3 main holy books but the Qu'ran is the only correct one. I thought this was so cool, because most western religions only think of one book as being the right one and say to heck with the rest of the books of other religions. While I'm not Muslim (I'm Christian actually hard to believe for some of you I imagine Laughing !) I think that Islam is a very interesting and fascinating religion. Well enough of my ramblings! ttyl heidi Cool
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Global Reasoning - Tolerance Reply with quote

DaveR and Heidi, thank you very much for the new year greeting. I wish that every body sees this year better one than the previous. Wishing for the health and happiness for all the Writers-Voice.

Heidie, it is correct that Islam acknowledges all the four (not three) holy books; Zanmboor (which was revealed to Dawood (David), Turat to Moses, Bible to Christ and Al-Quran to Mohammad. Islam is and has been very liberal religion but these terrorist have disfigured and damaged it very badly claiming themselves to be the representative of Islam. I would decline to go in detail because that may derail us from the real topic. Only would say that what you said is correct.

DaveR, I hope you would be in your high spirits this year and would also make us spirited with you live thoughts and style. Thank you for the toast.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Global Reasoning _ Tolerance Reply with quote

Tolerance is a double edged virtue. It encourages and balances all the positive passions, and discourages all the negative passions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Global Reasoning All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: