- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Thinking

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Global Reasoning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Thinking Reply with quote

"Nothing is good or bad but thinking makes is so".
Clive
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Please login and sign Reply with quote

Many people around the world want the same thing.

Please login and sign the commitment to 2 minutes

http://adbusters.org/campaigns/twominutesofsilence/
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.” -Hamlet

He thought a lot, didn’t he? In fact it’s possible he thought too much. When action was required, he sat down and thought.

When you go back to Clive’s story of the little boy who fell through the ice - what would Hamlet have done? Would he have jumped in to save him, or ponder the good or bad of it?
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Thinking Reply with quote

Could Clive jump to save the boy without thinking that it was good to save him.
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criminal defense attorneys and emergency room doctors do it all the time, act to save a person without considering the worthiness of the person. Clive went a step farther, he risked his life to save the boy.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Thinking Reply with quote

Yes DaveR, it is not the worthiness of the person but the worthiness of the action of the doer which is thought over or felt and which is more important.
Clive
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: survival situation Reply with quote

I have spent a lot of time on the ice and it can be a survival situation at the drop of a hat. One time I went out and the temperature was 2 degrees Celsius and at 9:00 at night it dropped to minus -48 and if you have not been in minus 48 with a stiff wind I will tell you it is a life and death situation with out shelter and fuel, I had both.

The act of going after the boy was not a situation to ponder it was a preconceived action for a given situation and I just acted. I can not say that if I knew a person and I really did not like them whether I would with hold a life line if it where there to throw.

The mind will run the program it has - but if the program was not installed and learned then the running of it will be a loss when you are in emergency mode. Our minds do really alter quit quickly when we need them in survival mode.

These days there are so many things being thrown at us from all directions with the media spinning their reality’s for us to follow. It is true that the mind will manufacture the reality at the time for the time – for instance, I am not afraid to enter a cave and walk its cold damp blackness, but some one else will manufacture snakes and bats and prevent them from seeing the truth. The mind is a powerful tool.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Thinking Reply with quote

Clive has spoken out two great realities. One is directly concerned with his experience and the other is his conclusion. "It was a preconceived action" this is concerned with the experience, only the level of conception is changed, and the other "mind is a powerful tool." We can discuss sometimes later the use of the word "tool" for mind.
Jax_rerun
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard of the Genovese Syndrom? A women was violently attacked in her own neighbourhood with 38 witnesses (onlooking from their homes, some who knew her quite well) and no one assisted her or even called the police. The attack lasted for over 30 minutes and she was eventually killed.

It may have been Clives "preconceived act" to save another person's life;yet, for many people this is not the case.

Perhaps if these people had taken the time to THINK about what they were doing, they would have realized that their inaction was wrong, and taken action to save this woman's life.

FYI: This phenonmenon of people not reacting against violence while in a group situation has been further documented by social scientists and named in honour of the victim.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the event well. The neighborhood had been having a hard time with muggings and many women were afraid to go out alone at night. Kitty Genovese was coming home late, she was young, small and quite pretty.

Some people later said they heard her screams, others didn't - explaining it away with the excuses that noises like that were heard every night.

The syndrome is very common, the fear of being involved when you, yourself and your family, is not involved.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Thinking Reply with quote

Thank you Harry, I was just going to type the message after writing when I read your meassage containing one of the elements I was pointing out. My response is
Jax_rerum, so with your illustration, we enter a new phase of dicussion.
1. Sometimes people do not think at all.
2. They are afraid of thinking and consequently reacting against viloence.
3. They thnink so passively (like Hamlet) that their thinking brings no result in the form of an action and thus evil is allowed to prevail.
4. They thik positively but fear that their thinking cannot work before fanaticism (like that of the attackers)
Can we not conclude that thinking fails before a powerful passion (anger, revenge, lust etc) or in other words the violent passion are let loose when thninking is suspended or made subservient to these passions.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Thinking Reply with quote

When men are delving in deep thoughts, silence prevails.
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking Reply with quote

ehsan elahi ehsan wrote:
"Nothing is good or bad but thinking makes is so".

Relativism is seen by some people as a dangerous liberal cop-out when it comes to dealing with the world - they would like the whole picture served up in black and white, but it is not so. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes? Some people won't even admit that there are any shoes apart from the ones on their own feet. You can operate by the rule of common consensus some might say, but mob rule is just as likely to happen. The vox populi isn't always the voice you should lend an ear to. There aren't many philosopher kings leading people out of the cave when it's more profitable to keep them in there stuffing popcorn in their mouths sweetened with heavy doses of Hollywood Good/Evil bipolar opposites.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Thinking Reply with quote

Hello psgri2003, welcome to this forum.
"Nothing is either good or bad but thinking makes it so", leads to two things, thinking is more important than action in the context of arragements, it gives a warning to the thinker to think positively.
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehsan,
I definitely admire the positivity with which each of your posts resonates and wonder if my own seem slightly lacking in this quality. If I truly didn't believe the power of thought could change things I don't think I would ever share my thoughts in fiction and poetry. I am a fairly positive person and would like this to come across. I hope it does. They say that cynics are bruised romantics and I think this might apply to myself. Some things do have an intrinisic beauty, some things are untainted by the ills of the world. Innocence unsullied is good. I recently fell in love with someone and it didn't work out but I still think it was good, perhaps my thinking it to be so makes it so, but is there not something of goodness intrinsic to it? My cousin's daughter who is two years old touches your heart really easily and it is not only thinking it to be so that gives it value.

I'd also like to point out that if my sense of humour hasn't emerged in my posts yet it hopefully should. I am not always this serious.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Thinking Reply with quote

Paul Grimsley, positive thinking suffers you no loss in any case.
As for your love experience, apart from our thinking, there is a divinity in the fall of a sparrow.
For you tinge of humour, a man of a versatile moods reflects a zest for life
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember who said it but "The stick that doesn't bend in the wind breaks" might be apt too. Very Happy
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Global Reasoning - Thinking Reply with quote

Quite truly said whoever said it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Global Reasoning All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: