- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Universal Prayer

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Universal Prayer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Global Reasoning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Universal Prayer Reply with quote

You know, you can pray to God or Allah, the sun or the moon and your prayers will be answered at about the same 50% rate. That should tell us something ...
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: prayer Reply with quote

Interesting Harry, I could hazard a guess as to what you mean by that, but to keep from being horribly wrong and misguided, what do you mean your question/statement?
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I will hazard a guess that the other 50 % may be don't understand by us.
Besides, if my prayer is not answered today, then it can mean that it will be answered tomorrow.
Or... if I can't receive any answer, it can mean that it is very good for me now or for the future.

God has His own statistics, I suppose Smile .

Jolanta
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as mankind uses faith as a get-out-of-jail-free card, it can't expect any better than 50%. Throughout our history we've used our gods like genies in a bottle. Most of us pray only when we want something, but when things are going smoothly we don't need them.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: prayer Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for clearing that up Harry! BTW:I do pray when I don't want something, when I'm grateful to God for doing something that I thought deserves praise. Even when something goes wrong or someone dies I give up a grateful prayer that I got to spend time with them etc, etc.
But I don't know about other people, what does everyone else think of Harry's topic? Cool
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I pray every day - to be on the safe side...

Jolanta Very Happy
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Universal Truth Reply with quote

There is no justification in treating the Creator and the created on the equal level.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conjectures and talks on faith and God are very difficult because either one is a believer or not.
It is a matter just of faith.
As for me, it is also a matter of my own life experiences (my contacts with God).

Jolanta
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Universal Prayer Reply with quote

If we use God like genies in a bottle, it is the littleness of our own minds, no fault of God.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not one for righteousness, Ehsan - Im not a preacher or a moralist, but I keep my eyes open and sure enough I see people asking God for things and being disappointed when they dont get them.

In the army I remember praying that I be spared; and with complete composure, asking God to kill the enemy rather than me. Ive seen people make the sign of the cross as the plane takes off. Ive seen them pray in hospital waiting rooms and at the slot machines in Las Vegas. The Greeks had gods for the harvest, the Indians asked the gods for rain.

Is it natural, or is it not, to expect God to favor us if we ask Him - even if it means disfavoring others? As Mr. Shakespeare said, Ehsan: The fault, Dear Brutus, lies not in our stars, but in ourselves.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Universal Prayer Reply with quote

Quote:
“The fault, Dear Brutus, lies not in our stars, but in ourselves.”

Shakespeare said quite rightly, Harry. That is what I wanted to assert. We ask God to fulfil all our wishes withou our discerning whether our wishes were good or bad, right or wrong. We also wish our enemy be harmed by God when we cannot defend ourselves. All our problems are created for having unreasonable wishes, (is it not a pradox, reason and wishes, yet we have it).Man has been, by constant efforts, since his creation, exerting his energy on the thought how to destroy his fellow human being and how to meet his selfish ends. He has been imploring God to fulfil these wishes. That is why, I say, the fault lies with man, not with God.

Now the question arises, what is the use of God, if He cannot fulfil our wishes. Such a thought is again due to our ignorance of God. If we had followed that way, which God tells us to follow, we might not be facing such trouble. Instead of following God's command, we have begun to follow our own wishes and using God as our instrument, and in such cases 50% or not at all, our prayers are to be shattered, and that is no fault of God, but ourselves.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Universal Prayer Reply with quote

Universal Prayer is the most precious gift human beings can be blessed with. It means a prayer for the betterment of all human beings irrespective of the differences in their race, colour, ideologies, traditions and the religions.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first brought up the subject of universal prayer I was referring to the universal tendency toward selfishness. I fully agree with you that prayer is a precious gift if used in your context, but it has a dark side as well. All too often we pray for ourselves before we pray for others.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Universal Prayer Reply with quote

Harry, if we strive for and promulgate the common attitude of the people from particular to general, we shall be fighting a holy war against selfishness and thus making a great service to the mankind. Howfar do we succeed, that is anothe matter but not in any case disheartening. All the good beginnings have odds in the way. Let us keep on insisting that Universal Prayer leads man to universal peace and prosperity.
Jax_rerun
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
When I first brought up the subject of universal prayer I was referring to the universal tendency toward selfishness. I fully agree with you that prayer is a precious gift if used in your context, but it has a dark side as well. All too often we pray for ourselves before we pray for others.

It's ironic how the phrase "I'll pray for you" has become a codemnation in Western society. Instead of genuinely wishing well for other people, some people cast judgement and scornfully claim that they will pray for them. For example, Christian demonstrator say that phrase to women entering abortion clinics. Somehow, I doubt those Christians follow through with their threat to pray for those women. Such foolishness.

My wonderful grandmother taught me a bedtime prayer when I was a child. My parents were unhappy and she knew I could use the comfort of knowing that there was someone or something out there that loved me and watched over me. Ever since that time I have taken comfort in saying a night time prayer and just talking with God. I thank Him for being there, sometimes I ask for strength or direction, sometimes I say hi to my loved ones who have passed. It's like having an invisible friend to talk to. Maybe that is selfish. But I do not think it is wrong to seek comfort from a devine source. So long as we do not expect divinity to intervene on our behalf.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Jax_rerun!

Your words about your contact with God are wonderful. We are often lost in our lives, and we are often thrown back on own resources.
Always when I cant cope on my own, I say to my God, Its time for You to act I am too weak. Take my problem and find the best solution for me. May Your will be.
And my God never let me down

Jolanta
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Universal Prayer Reply with quote

It is a fact visible to all that the materialists and the non-blievers, in spite of having all the materialistic sources are not contented at heart. There outward activities betray there frustration. On the other hand, those who have faith in God, worldly they may be poor, do not have the sense of insecurity, of loneliness. They are never accentered. They never wish to be selfish. Their life is a living example of peace and comfort. And mostly they are endowed with the blessing of universal prayer.
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I believe in God in the same sense as the other people posting. I'm never sure what I'm pryaing to when I pray. One thing I have made an effort to do though is not to pray for myself, but to only ask things for others. This was in reaction to me noticing of myself that I only prayed selfishly when I wanted something. I'm not claiming now that these prayers I offer up are altruistic because I want the things to happen for other people, but is there not more grace in asking for something you won't directly benefit from? I hope other people pray for me or at least wish good things for me and that has tended happen because of what I've done for them, not what I've done for myself. Does praying work the same way?
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Universal Prayer Reply with quote

psgri2003 wrote:
Quote:
One thing I have made an effort to do though is not to pray for myself, but to only ask things for others.

That is the Universal Prayer and the best of the prayers!
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say when the student is ready the teacher appears, and I think by joining the voice I have become both ready and blessed with a whole host of teachers.

Thank you.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Universal Prayer Reply with quote

Paul Grimsley, Writers-Voice is thankful to you for your good ideas about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Global Reasoning All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: