- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Matthew Colley

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matthew Colley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Free For All Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Matthew Colley Reply with quote

Some of you may not know Matt Colley. He was one of the original members of this site. In my opinion he was one of the most promising writers on the internet and certainly one of the really inventive philosophical minds I ever met. He was all of these things as well as being a friend and the most disorganized person I will ever meet.

For the last seven years we spoke on the phone every weekend. But I haven't heard from him for a month. At that time he had just returned from China and checked himself into Olean General Hospital.

I found these notices in the Olean Times Herald ...

OLEAN — Matthew G. Colley of 424 Second Ave., Olean, formerly of Cuba, passed away Wednesday (Aug. 4, 2010) at Olean General Hospital following a long and courageous battle with cancer. ("Cuba" is a small town in upstate New York.)

Aug 13, 2010 ... Matthew G. Colley Obituary Matthew was born on Feb. ... English at the High School and College levels in South Korea, Bulgaria and China. ...

The internet is a cold, heartless place ... you never get to say goodbye to anyone.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: sorry for the loss Reply with quote

I feel kind of odd doing this on a website of all places...oh well, it happens I suppose. I can't say that I knew him personally, though the name does ring a bell. I am sorry that you had to find out about his death that way. I am sorry for the loss of someone who was a good person and it sounded like he was very talented. I agree with your sentiment in the signature; I found out one of my friends was gone because of an obituary and an invitation to their funeral. I had not seen them in a long time and was shocked that they were gone. I know it is not quite the same thing but I hope you will at least accept my condolences. May your friend be remembered fondly and for a long time.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

Please accept my condolences on your loss. I don't think I had the privilege to know Matt, but he sounds like a wonderful and talented person. I will say a prayer for him and put him in my prayer request book.

God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: quote Reply with quote

For all the foolish things we regret having done while young we cannot make a collection large enough to equal the shame of how we waste our adult lives. - Matt Colley
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone would like to send an electronic sympathy card to Matt's sister, use the link below ...

http://www.tributes.com/browse_obituaries?city=Cuba&state=NY
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: quote Reply with quote

I'm sorry for your loss, Harry.

Last edited by Linda on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, what sad, shocking news.

I haven't tuned into the Writers Voice for some time, and to hear this today. Did Matthew's voice somehow beckon?

Matthew's voice was truly original, unique and powerful. I can imagine the discussions you both enjoyed with each other.

I know the discussions you, Linda, Matthew, Clive and I had were thought provoking and artistically inspiring.

It would be worthwhile for members of the site to review what Matthew wrote here.

I never knew Matthew's age. May Matthew Colley rest in peace.
Clive
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that, like any artist, one own pain in life will cause a greater creativity. Matt had a lot of pain in his life and he expressed it in the written word. Harry you are so right, that the internet is a cold place for the ability of saying our farewells. The next of kin and friends that live among our internet friends do not know we exist and can not get the word out to us.
Rest in peace Matt…
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, how are you doing?

I notice that Matt's stories are no longer posted at The Writers Voice.
Can his writing be found on any other websites?

Dave
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He requested they be removed, Dave. You might want to read his blog while it still exists at
http://matthewcolley.blogs.ie/
It is not a literary example - more in the form of a rambling diary.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Harry for posting the link.

Linda

Last edited by Linda on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wasn't interested in writing beautifully, Linda -- he wrote what he believed in.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[He Posted] June 7, 2009 3:27 pm

Sometimes an individual wakes up with two minds. One is refreshed and feeling good about the things he said yesterday. The other is his usual fear of the immediate future and facing those same people he sees each day at his job. Usually there is no one he can tell about it without risking his being committed. It is why the Internet was invented.

Last edited by Linda on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His mother died after his first operation. That was performed in Sofia, leaving him more or less flat broke. He went home, not so much to grieve, but to collect his share of her estate. When he got back to Bulgaria a new professor had taken over ... so it was on to China to teach there. Korea was before all of this.

There was a lot more to Matt than most of us know, Linda. He wouldn't want us to dig too deep ... he had a private life that I think he wants to stay private.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, you are correct, sir. I'm only sorry it took his passing for me to understand more. May he rest in peace and may you also find comfort.
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, thank you for posting the link to Matt's blog.

The blog writing has the effect of opening ones mind. A kind of poetry which at first glance doesn't seem to make sense, yet triggers the readers thoughts and emotions.

As I recall, his short stories and observations posted here a few years ago were in that same style.

Linda, those Dylan Thomas lines quoted in your posts are a fitting tribute to the passing of Matt Colley. I hope you and Harry are doing fine.
mira
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is shocking news for me.. though I feel I cannot say anything further than this. I never got to know Matthew. When he was in peace with his thoughts, he was witty, he was artistic. I have a feeling he had a good heart. ..and for whomever asked for his age... Lord, he was too young...

Last edited by mira on Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
mira
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reading his diary... I will read it to the last page...
mira
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it hurts so much to read. The only thing more sad than reading of the death of someone you cared about in the internet, is not being able to even go to his grave and say the things you have to say. And ask forgiveness. So I will use this little topic that will soon sink somewhere deep into the forum to say what I need to say, and hope you all would not mind that public emotional exposure...

Matt, I hope you go to Heaven. May God take care of your soul...I will always keep you in my thoughts. I love you.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt was a very original man. I can say that he was my friend though I never met him personally. He was a warm man. I loved his sense of humor, his sarcasm, and his very intelligent mind. I think that in some way he was a genius. In 2005-2007 we were sending messages by e-mail to each other. I have just read them. Sometimes we argued, but later Matt wrote to me beginning with “Hello Good Jolanta,” or “Okay Good Ms. Yolanta”.
He often ended his letters with “Peace and much love.”

Dear Matt, Peace and much Love…
Rada
Poster Want-2-B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is written by Matt 10 years ago. I don't know who the woman is. It is not important. It is worth to read and learn from the Teacher and Friend. Hope he hadn't would mind if I post the link.
http://www.oocities.com/stueng_99/writersvoicecolleymommy.html
momo_iwi
Poster Want-2-B

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Matt in 2008 in Nanjing when we both went to work at a small nameless college in Jiangsu province. Unlike some who come to teach in China he was actually qualified to do so, certainly more qualified than I.
The college we were going to was about twenty km from the nearest city and surrounded by Chinese farmland populated by a few million “nong ming”. This may seem like an idyllic and restful situation, but we soon found it was as boring as hell with no decent food and absolutely nobody around who could speak English.
We were given very nice apartments right at the back of the school as far away from our classrooms and office as possible. This gave us the opportunity to work up a good sweat in summer and develop the early stages of exposure trudging through the snow in winter. We bought electric bicycles to give us some mobility and allow us to explore the surrounding countryside.
Matt had never ridden any kind of motorized two wheeled device so his learning curve was a little steep. At some stage during this learning period he had an altercation with an old woman on a tricycle laden with live geese. The allocation of blame is still difficult but the result was Matt lying on the ground, surrounded by angry hissing geese and being harangued by an equally angry and vocal Chinese grandmother. Needless to say the outcome was compensation paid for distress and discomfort to the geese and tricycle damage of an unspecified nature.
We discovered a coffee shop of sorts, an uncommon find in rural China, and became semi- permanent residents there. This gave us a place to hang out away from the prying eyes of our students and bosses. And pry those eyes certainly did. When a camera was installed in our stairwell Matt took delight in hanging a dirty sock or any handy obstruction over the lens to thwart the observation of our activities.
Matt became a good friend during our time at the unnamed college and we spent many a long winter evening telling yarns, smoking cheap Chinese cigarettes and drinking expensive Chinese coffee. When he became ill and knew the outcome was not going to be good he invited a group of friends to his farewell party and bought us all a drink or seven.
He quietly slipped away before the end of the night, no speeches, no emotional farewell and we never saw him again.
I would therefore like to thank Harry for this thread and giving some closure to the people who knew Matt in China and miss his good humor and sharp wit.
J.F.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, momo_iwi. It certainly sounds like the Matt we all knew. I know it certainly means nothing to him now and probably wouldn't even if he were alive, but it would do a lot for all of us if we kept his memory alive as long as we can. He was homesick all his life for a place that probably never existed.
Cara
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: So sorry Reply with quote

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like Matt was a great man, who is missed by everyone who had the privilege to know him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: