- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Writers of the World

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writers of the World

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Global Reasoning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Writers of the World Reply with quote

This is an appeal and an idea for all the writers of the world to unite themselves to wage a war (on this site) of peace against all those elements who are bent upon destroying human peace for their vested interests and evil designs. These elements, presently visible, are three; the politicians, the military men and the terrorists. Let all the writers of the world try to replace hatred, apathy and indifference by love,sympathy and involvement.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following excerpt is from a work by Mark Twain, one of America's greatest writers. The work is called "Letters From the Earth." It concerns the reaction of the the Archangels; one of their number is Satan, who has yet to fall from grace, watching God creating animals to inhabit the earth

<><><>

He is making animals. Will it please you to come and see?"

They went, they saw, and were perplexed. Deeply perplexed -- and the Creator noticed it, and said, "Ask. I will answer."

"Divine One," said Satan, making obeisance, "what are they for?"

"They are an experiment in Morals and Conduct. Observe them, and be instructed."

There were thousands of them. They were full of activities. Busy, all busy -- mainly in persecuting each other. Satan remarked -- after examining one of them through a powerful microscope: "This large beast is killing weaker animals, Divine One."

"The tiger -- yes. The law of his nature is ferocity. The law of his nature is the Law of God. He cannot disobey it."

"Then in obeying it he commits no offense, Divine One?"

"No, he is blameless."

"This other creature, here, is timid, Divine One, and suffers death without resisting."

"The rabbit -- yes. He is without courage. It is the law of his nature -- the Law of God. He must obey it."

"Then he cannot honorably be required to go counter to his nature and resist, Divine One?"

"No. No creature can be honorably required to go counter to the law of his nature -- the Law of God."

<><><>

I submit this excerpt only to inquire whether or not such behavior may have been God's intention, and that man – in his brutality towards other men may have been His intention all along.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: The Writers of the World Reply with quote

Harry, the direction you are suggesting concludes in silence and resignation. I think, the writers are a big entity and they must have their voice, at least in protesting, of what is being made of humanity. It is like giving a loose bridle to the miscreatnts of peace just to keep mum on what they are doing.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been fighting wars for 13,000 years in a pattern, in more or less the following order:

(a) Primitive/ritualistic,
(b) political/greedy,
(c) Heroic/ aggrandizing,
(d) Holy/defense of God,
(e) Defensive/protecting one's group/country,
(f) Terrorist and guerrilla/defense against an invisible inner enemy.

They are not all the result of political/industrial/religious influence. It seems to me if you want writers to lead mankind out of the killing fields of war, you have to look at man himself. This is what Mark Twain was talking about.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: The Writers of the World Reply with quote

Harry, you have given a very good classification of the ages when the vested interest have been pushing the human beings to wage wars against one another. No body denies the facts that different elements have been keeping human beings busy in these wars. There have been the worst examples of the destructions and horrors brought about by these wars.

This is the area which is required to be checked by the writers and they are requested to start a war of peace against these elements. Instead of keeping the bad examples aliveby remaining passive and indiffernt, they should stress all mankind to stop, or at least reduce to minimum such atrocities comnmited by the vested interest, till the goal of perfect peace is reached at. I know this business is not a small one. It would require a lot of time and a lot of patience. The time could extend to centuries, yet we should not be dismayed of the goodness within man. As a preliminary step, the writers, wherever they are, can only condemn any kind of war, initiated by the politicians, implemented by the military men and made chaotic by the terrorists. The writers, at least, can pin point in their writings, the nefarious designs of these elements who are always bent upon destroying the peace and creating harrassment in the lives of common and peaceful men.
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning, very early morning (it's 3:53 AM here in Los Angeles), Ehsan and Harry. Nothing like a good philosophical discussion to start the day.

Ehsan, you have suggested a noble but fruitless call to arms against the tides of war. Yes, words are mighter than swords, but you are proposing to aim the heavy artillary of words at the wrong targets.

I think Harry and Mark Twain are correct. All the politicians, military men and terrorists in the world cannot sustain war, if we the common man, who vastly outnumber them and could easily overpower them, were to declare "No more war."

But we, the people of every nation in the world, are either too stupid, or too fearful, or too confused to prevent war. Aim your words at the root of the problem.

For example, America went to war in Iraq, because we Americans supported our going to war.

Dave.
Clive
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can not stop terrorism with words. Until the countries that sponsor terrorism are put out of business the evil ones will continue and work towards chaos and weapons of mass destruction. What should one expect if a nuke went off in the Americas?

The Middle East has been complaining about the USA, France and England for decades. For the past 100 years the poppy has been used to destroy the social fabric and create chaos in the Americas and profits used to fund evil projects. We should have started with the poppy fields in the Middle East. There is no one leader that can be reasoned with and as long as the threat is alive there will be military action to try to stop these people that fight with out a uniform or a main leader. If all country’s worked at stopping the criminal activities of these terrorists then the world would be a better place.

How is this done?
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to start off with the assumption that man is not a rational animal. He is not completely like Twain's tiger, nor is he altogether meek, like his rabbit. He juggles these characteristics for the duration of his life. He will fight sometimes – sometimes he will capitulate.

One thing he knows; the sword is mightier than the pen. Always has been. Always will be, and any argument to the contrary will be blown away in the first salvo.

One thing I have learned in my nearly ninety years is that man is mad. Mad as a hatter. Maybe Ehsan will appreciate this example that for a week or two was big news in my part of the world, until something more bizarre took precedence ...

NICKEL MINES, Pennsylvania A dairy truck driver, apparently nursing a 20-year-old grudge, walked into a one-room Amish schoolhouse here Monday morning and systematically tried to execute the girls there, killing four and wounding seven before killing himself, the police said.

The gunman, identified as Charles Roberts, 32, killed himself as the police stormed the West Nickel Mines Amish School, which is set back in a cornfield on a street of stone houses, barns and silos in Lancaster County, about 50 miles west of Philadelphia. Several of the wounded were in critical condition in area hospitals. Roberts had no criminal record or history of psychiatric illness, the authorities said. But notes he left at his home - where he lived with his wife, Marie, and their three children - said he was distraught about a slight that had occurred more than 20 years ago.

In the face of such almost daily eccentric behavior, Ehsan, how can a writer, regardless of his mastery of words bring logic and peace to the world?

Welcome back, Dave ... all is forgiven, by the way.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
...One thing he knows; the sword is mightier than the pen. Always has been. Always will be...

Harry,

If this is true, then what do we do with Hebrews 4:12 (For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.)

Harry wrote:
...In the face of such almost daily eccentric behavior, Ehsan, how can a writer, regardless of his mastery of words bring logic and peace to the world?...

I agree with you on this. I don't think any writer, of his own ability, could bring world peace....but, that doesn’t altar the fact that the Word of God as we know it today, came to us through the pen of some 32 writers.

And, while there were 32 writers of the 66 books, the only reason those books withstood the test of time, is because there was only one author. Therefore, I'm not sure the question is whether or not a writer could bring peace, but whether or not they could silence their own voice long enough for a higher voice be heard through their pen. And that may be exactly what you are saying...

Harry wrote:
...In the face of such almost daily eccentric behavior, Ehsan, how can a writer, regardless of his mastery of words bring logic and peace to the world?...

They probably cannot (submit, I mean)...Maybe that's why the next time it will be with fire instead of water???
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is, Linda, that God has not been on speaking terms with us lately. H's left us to wield the 'sword' and the 'word' as we see fit, and our word is no match for our sword.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a more accurate (scuse my English) summation is we've left him ... And that puts us in the beginning of Revelation...with Him standing at the door of the church....knocking....to be sure, there are church services...but, He's been pushed outside...

You're right, Harry. Man's word has never carried the weight of man's sword...

Scarey book, Revelation...but the only one that carries a blessing just for reading...
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: The writers of the world Reply with quote

There is no doubt that the force of the sword has been crushing but it has alway proved short lived, the force of writing or the the pen has a lasting effect and whatever man has achieved so far, is not the fruit of the sword but that of the pen and the labour of the writers.
Clive
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very good to see you Eschan -- hope all is well for you -- I am so afraid that man/women kind will not learn from history and we will repeat the same mistakes for the next 5,000 years unless new killing technology is invented then it will not be that many years.

If we could only get more than 60 % of the world believing that good was the driving force than we could have it.

I do not know if you can get http://www.youtube.com/ but it is a massive collection of talent -- this may also become the next pen to paper...

Again it is good to see you and hope you are around more often...
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: The Writers of the World Reply with quote

If Man Could See
God has created so much beauty in nature
But man , the material man of today never tries to see it
Because he is busy in thinking
How to destroy his fellow beings
The earnigns and the production of the whole nation, rich and the poor
Is wasted on inventing new weapons of war
Human beings are killed on the pretext of keeping peace
Paliaments and the Senates are shaped
To use all their energirgies of thought
On making thier nation stronger
Not in aestheticism but for
Drugery of death and destruction
If man cound change his attitidues towards life
If he could see the real beaiuty in Nature
If he could give love and respect
To those human being whoe belong
To his race , his complexion and his faith
And along with this to those
Who do not belong to his tribe.
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehsan, I wish I knew what to say about the terrible events of yesterday in your country. Here's hoping that you and your friends and family are fine.

Dave.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep yourself safe from harm, Ehsan. You're in the center of a vortex where things could easily get out of control. Take care of yourself and your family.
Clive
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes decades to create order but as we are seeing - only seconds to create chaos. Unfortunately there is more profit in chaos then order.

Be safe Ehsan...
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: writers of the world Reply with quote

Thank you Harry for you kind words of sympathy and your realistic opinion. The dragon of death and destruction is after my country and in this matter common people like me can only pray God for help.
Thank you very much.
ehsan elahi ehsan
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Writers of the World Reply with quote

Thank you clive for you sympathy to me and my country. The fact at present is that the whole nation in a shock and it seems to be very difficult to come out of it. As you have said perhaps it may take a decade for us to restore our selves. Thank you for your kind words.
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think if you consider that central to a lot of current conflicts is a difference of ideology - ideology conveyed through the ages in the form of the written word, then you see that the written word truly has the power to stir man to great acts of violence.

in the soil of those ideologies is also the potential for great ideas of peace to grow, so one has to believe that the power of the word might also provide the solution.

peace seems to come more often from talking than it does from fighting. when people are locked in a stalemate, equally matched as far as their weaponry and their soldiers, what will save them?

the ability to think; the ability to convey those thoughts: the words which they choose. if a writer can accurately capture what the spirit and will of the country and the people is; if they can write about the desire for peace and convince those in power or at least make them think, then they should.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: discussion Reply with quote

I just found this again through Paul Grimsley's post (sorry if I spelled your last name wrong.) I almost didn't remember it but now I do. I can't really say much more than what has already been said, except I agree and I wish.
I agree with what most people have said, and I wish that writers could change the world. But it is very hard for one person that nobody knows to do so.

That being said let's look at history a bit.

Maya Angelou:changed history or at least some of history with one poem

Alice Walker:changed history or at least how others thought of blacks with one book.

Sojourner Truth:more of an orator than a writer but she did write some things, I won't go into how much she changed the suffrage movement and America because it would take too long.

Mark Twain:changed how people read and saw fiction. Didn't do that much for history per se, but he did have a great commentary on it as well as the human condition.

Edgar Allan Poe:not much for changing history thanks to always being poor. But he did change how people thought about writing with one very very long poem called The Raven.

Arthur Conynan Doyle: excuse me Sir Arthur Coynan Doyle, can't remember him changing history much. But he gave us one heck of an escape from it and daily life with Sherlock Holmes.

William Shakespeare: changed history with how he wrote plays, poetry, well anything really. He was subversive in the best way, without anyone knowing it.

Geoffrey Chaucer: He did the same thing Shakespeare did only with more books than plays, and in a different time period. Oh with a lot more allegory.

Emily Dickinson: She was a great woman writer, rather oppressed at the time but she changed the way the world thought about poetry. I can't think of anyone who can't quote one of her poems.

Oscar Wilde: Changed how we thought about writing thanks to the way he wrote. His secret shocked some but to others it made perfect sense to others. His works have been banned (although not recently to my knowledge.)

Ralph Ellison: started a whole new movement by writing nature poetry. Well not exactly but he certainly made Romanticism (if this wrong correct) popular.

Alexander Pope:His writing is funny, sometimes edgy. I can't remember off the top of my head what he did for history but I know it was big.

Walt Whitman:changed how we read poetry and also helped a movement through his writing.

Wordsworth, Blake,Yeats, Byron:I would've put separate entries for each but they all did a lot for writing and for history. Both categories include a lot so I won't go into it here

Leo Tolstoy:anyone who can write the things he did in communist Russia and get away with it practically deserves an award.

Homer, Dante, Milton, Virgil (basically any of the great Greek or Roman writers/philosophers):Milton (Paradise Lost, I don't think I need to say much more.) Dante (again Dante's Inferno says it all.) Homer, did so much it's hard to even put into words so I won't, Virgil became a character in Dante's Inferno and was a good poet in his day

D.H. Lawrence: I don't know that much about him, but I know his writing revolutionized how we looked at blacks in America

I'm sure there are many I'm forgetting, if you're wondering how I suddenly acquired a vast knowledge of English literature and it's influence..a)I was an English major in college so I studied most of these people and their works b)I cheated and got them off of this website http://www.adherents.com/people/100_literary.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Global Reasoning All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: